Thursday, September 17, 2009

Soap Box

I’ve been kind of aggravated lately.

I have lots acquaintances from years back – college, high school and such – and many of them are liberal. I keep in touch with many of them through Facebook. Lately there’s been comments made by several, not necessarily directed at me (although in one instance I KNOW it was) that has hurt me.

I don’t understand why liberals have to be so mean. Making comments about how because of my conservative beliefs – based on what their own supposed religion is based on, The Holy Bible – I am backwards, pathetic and I quote, “sad, really.” I never put anyone down because of what they believe, not matter how wrong I think they are. And in many instances you can’t convince someone to think how you think – sometimes it’s a battle you can’t win. So why would you resort to name calling? For a group that says they accept everyone, every lifestyle…how come they can’t accept conservatives??

I realize now that conservatives – true conservatives are RARE. And I am saddened by this fact. I can’t help but wonder, how soon before people like me are truly persecuted in this country because of what I believe?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ingrid, thank you for having the courage to write this post. I agree with you whole heartedly. I have also been hurt and disappointed by the disrespect and sometimes downright cruelty that I have seen in facebook discussions over the last year. I think it's getting worse and that worries me. My dad actually posted a comment on his facebook page today regarding the issue of civility (or lack thereof) in our public discourse:

"I heard this commentary by Chuck Coulson this morning on Breakpoint.
He has said what's been on my mind for the past couple of weeks about
our civility. It's not just Rep. Wilson, but Kanye West and the MTV
Video awards, people at town hall ...meetings, people in government
leadership positions, etc. etc... It's at...

http://www.breakpoint.org/commentaries/12589-restoring-civility

Also, check out the Our Daily Bread devotion for today at...

http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb.shtml Be sure to click on the Ephesians 4 Bible passage first before reading the devotion.

I know I have personally been caugh up in this type of conversation and
know that others among us have also. It's time for us all to start the
ball rolling on restoring civility

It reminds me of the verse in Galatians 5:14-15 (NIV) 14 The entire
law is summed up in a single command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you
will be destroyed by each other."

How sad that we can't seem to maintain respect and decency when discussing our differences.

Arthur said...

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you, lie and tell only evil about on account of Me. Rejoice and be glad because you have a great reward in heaven. That's how they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

You are never as alone as the devil would like you to feel!

Sadly this is one way that people show who they are worshiping (though most don't recognize it). The decline in civility dates (my experience) from the opposition to Vietnam freedom. A meme caught hold that said "The end justifies the means". From that came lies and attacks on soldiers because "their cause was just" (although any thinking person knew they were wrong).

About Me

My photo
Oh, the escapades in the Timm household never cease to amaze!