Well, in Nic's absence I'm learning to take things in stride. I prayed for patience when dealing with Colton countless times today - all of it stemming from him crying/screaming in public for me to hold him when I'm carrying Elora in the snugli. Usually it's because he's tired. I always hate being "that parent" with the crying kid running after them, but many times that's usually how it ends up - because I'm not going to stop in the pouring rain carrying Elora so that Colton is walking ahead of me instead of 5 ft. behind me! Oh! The things that child tries to demand!
Today we signed Maximus up on Kadena for Basketball. Registration started at 10 but we got there at 9:30 to get in line. It was *cold* and windy and rainy and we had to wait OUTSIDE so that was pretty miserable - only because Colton wanted me to hold him, but with Elora in the snugli, he just had to suck it up. Eventually, after they opened the doors(at 10) and we stood in line in a gymn, Colton decided he was secure enough to go run around with the other kiddos. He had held onto my hand the entire time, up until that point - so it makes me wonder if he hit his "daddy meltdown" today. Because we relived this scenario on the walk from the car to Burger King and again on the walk from the car to our apartment... It was like he was holding onto my for dear life - a total security thing.
Although that last walk - from our parking space to our tower was the worst because both boys were crying and screaming unconsolably because they fell asleep in the car and woke up crabs because they had to walk up to our apartment. I had no sympathy for them and made them lay down again when we got home.
But I'm learning that through all this, not to let it get me and to give them a break- every time Nic leaves (whether a week or a couple months) their world gets turned upside down and they're bound to act out in some way. All I can do is keep their minds and bodies occupied while Nic is gone to help distract them and to love them and keep them feeling secure in their daily routine. Oh and skype helps too!
I get to skype with Nic tonight - he said he would give me the honor since it IS valentines day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment