Saturday, February 5, 2011

I'm boycotting Kadena

It's 10:30 and I really should be sleeping so I can get up with the kids to go to church in the morning, but I've decided to post one more blog.  Mostly just to complain about Kadena Air Force Base....

I spent 2 hours at the Exchange there filling up the cart.  The kids were actually really good, but were getting to their melting point FAST so even though I didn't find everything I needed, I still has a LOT so I decided to leave before it got too bad with the kids (I hate getting embarrassed in public because my kids are crying/fighting, it's not like I can help it,but I still get embarrassed).  Anyway, we waited in line - kids getting worse bit by bit and when it came my turn I searched frantically in my purse for my ID so I could make my purchases.  I start getting nervous, kids start crying... oh no.  I can't find it.  My ID.. did I leave it in the car? How could I have done that?!  And I parked FAR away!!  It's Saturday, they're busy!

I tell the lady I can't find it, and if she can make an exception for me? She just stares at me  blankly and says, "Need see ID."  Now I haven't run into many rude Okinawans but they way she just looked at me as if I was inconviencing HER, I started crying - trying really hard not to ball.  I told her, I think I just left it in my car.  She told me to go get it.  So I got crying Elora back into the snugli - which probably took 2 LONG minutes, got the fighting boys out of the cart and the lady goes, "You come back for your cart?"  I said, "I don't think I could handle leaving and coming back with my kids."  She asked me 2 more times before she told her supervisor really loudly, "She no have ID!"  The supervisor just looked at me and shook her head, as if I should be ashamed of myself.  As we walk to the elevator, everyone's looking at me and Maximus is going, "But why didn't we buy anything Mommy??"

*sigh* I managed to collect myself in the elevator enough to not attract any attention until we got in the car.  Maximus says, "Mommy it's Ok, next time just show her your ID, ok?"  He helped me feel better, but I did cry most of the way home.   I mean... I get why they want you to show your ID, but clearly - I'm not a LOCAL!!  Do I look Okinawan to you? How do they think I got on their base??? You have to have a military ID or a pass that says you will be escorted by someone with a military ID!!!

It didn't help that Elora cried the whole drive home (30 minutes)....

I don't think I'll be going back to the BX in a long time.  I'd rather they didn't get my business.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Oh, the escapades in the Timm household never cease to amaze!