Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Zebra Quilt

These are the pictures I took of my final product - after taking apart and quilting 1 of the boys' zebra comforters.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out, however, it's definitely not as wide anymore and can't truly be used as a full size comforter - it doesn't drape over the side of the bed, but just barely covers the width of the mattress.  

 In this picture (above), the quilt is hanging off the top bunk, so the zebra print underneath it is the bed skirt - which is why the black isn't faded - it hasn't been washed yet.  I think this clearly shows the quality (or should I say lack of quality) in the material used in this bed set.  I am EXTREMELY leery now about buying things - I refuse to buy the boys' character sheets because they are scratchy and pretty much the same quality as this set - aka, JUNK. I'm still mad at myself for buying 2 of these sets - worst $100 I've ever spent! ... well, unless you count that double stroller 2 years ago that I literally ended up giving away after a couple weeks of not being able to maneuver it...


Here it is on the floor, so you see how flat it is now.... before, the cotton was all bunched up everywhere so it was like a huge pillow with knots of cotton randomly dispersed.  And the seams were ripping, which lead to cotton "leakage." ... yeah.... when we move back to the States, I'm never shopping at the PX again.


Hopefully you can see the stitching I did.   Nothing fancy, by any means.  Just squiggly lines about every 3-4 inches across the width of the blanket.  In the end I also put stitches in where the comforter had stitches that went lengthwise... I think it was 4 lines or so.  The border is some type of leopard print in fleece.  I wanted fleece because then I wouldn't have to hem it before I sewed it on - that part was perhaps the easies part of the whole project!  The backing is flannel from a flat sheet - I think I got it from Aunt Diane a few years ago :)

Now, I just have to do this all over again with the other comforter!  That one is in much better condition though, so I'm not in as big of a rush as I was with this one - the seams aren't ripping.  So I'll do it when I get around to it :)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Oh, the escapades in the Timm household never cease to amaze!