This week has been rather interesting. It started Sunday night when Colton got a fever. He was miserable for a full 24 hours. Of course, I still had to drag him to and from school on Monday (because Maximus still had school) and drag him with me while I ran my errands (Including renewing the van's insurance for a year... which is ironic - keep reading). By the time we got home around noon, the Motrin was wearing off and he was a sobbing mess.
I had to stay home from MOPS on Tuesday, since his fever only broke Monday evening. So I took that opportunity to get the JCI (Japanese Compulsory Inspection) done on my van. So I drove with the kids about half a mile (I really have no clue how accurate that guess is) on base and dropped the van off - walking home with the kids. Maybe 4 hours later I received the news that it would cost more to make the changes necessary to pass inspection than the van was worth. Not to mention there are parts we would have to replace in the next year anyway.
So that meant I had to junk it and buy a new car.
So Wednesday (driving Nic's car since the van wasn't available to get picked up yet) I took the kids to school and went and looked at a 2001 black Fun Cargo (yes, you read that right). I loved it. It's small, but surprising roomy inside and can fit the kids' 3 carseats. Not to mention the JCI was good for 20 months and with a smaller engine the road tax is about half and insurance is cheaper! SOLD!
So after picking up the kids from school we drove home and walked back to pick up the van. When we got home, I parked in the 15 minute parking and had Maximus run inside to get a cart so we could empty EVERYTHING out of the van. I wanted to take the skii rack off the top, but I couldn't figure it out. The rest of the day was spent figuring out all the steps I had to take in order to junk it and deregister it from Nic's name. By evening I had a whole list with detailed steps - a FULL page long.
Thursday, 8 AM I left to bring the kids to my friends house and then came back to Kinser to pick up my friend Liesl who drove me all over the place all morning. Junking the car was interesting ...and it proved that I am completely ignorant in broken English and universal sign. We had to drive up onto a scale in a busy and full stock yard and get out and speak to a teller who told me how much yen I'd get. Then I had to make a 2 point U-turn (hello cars! Don't try to drive around me, please!) and drive into a garage where the operator gestured for me to get out and turn the car off/on - I'm pretty sure several times on different occasions before Liesl told me what he wanted. And here I am the whole time, just smiling and nodding and saying "Hai" (yes). I don't know how she became fluent in universal sign, but I'm glad I had her with me! After he gave us my plates we went back inside to get paid and for some more paperwork. I had to sign and stamp my finger - which I did wrong the first time. Of course LOL.
So then, after picking up her kids, Liesl was kind enough to drive me to Foster for some more paperwork to get stamped and taken and I had to pay a fee of some kind. I have no clue what for. Then we had to drive to the Japanese Land Transportation Office where I had to go to 3 different counters where they 1) Took my plates, 2) I had to pay a road tax and 3) I finally got my Deregistration paperwork.
So we had to go back to Foster, and at this point Liesl just drops me off. I have them put my paperwork into the system so I (as Nic) can buy another car (Only sponsors can have cars and only 2). It's about noon, at which time I'm meeting the sellers of the Fun Cargo (very nice family who's PCSing, or moving). So I get started on the paperwork (my brain wasn't functioning and I had to ask her to explain a few times what I needed to write on the paper - turns out it was just Nic's name and signature). At this time she tells me that she can't find my SOFA (status of forces agreement) License in the system and I need to go to Branch Safety and do that first. I explain that I would have to walk and she (thankfully) just tells me to go right after the sale.
The sellers show up and after they sign the paperwork, we head over to the Insurance place to finalize it. Long line. But finally it's done and, after I make a quick stop at Branch Safety, I drive my new car to pick up the kids. I stop at the drive-thru on the way home at about 2:30 because I hadn't eaten since 7AM. Or had any caffeine. Talk about a long day!!
So today's Friday and it rained almost all day. We're talking torrential downpour. After the stress of yesterday, we've done nothing today (besides school in the morning). My brain is still trying to recover :)
Let's just hope I don't have to do the same thing to Nic's car come June when his JCI is due.....
1 comment:
Congratulations! (I don't envy you at all.) You deserve a medal!! Enjoy the car.
Post a Comment