April is the Month of the Military Child - it's a time to recognize and honor the children of our military men and women, because while their mommy or daddy serve and sacrifice, they do as well. ...Especially when stationed in a foreign country and especially when that mom or dad is deployed. So the boys' school had a mini-parade (a march around the base, complete with marines calling cadence) and before hand, they had a mini-ceremony for the students who had a parent currently deployed. The "Timm boys" were proud to wear their uniform (I had to explain to them before we left the house why they couldn't bring their "rifles" or "duty belts" or any of the various "weapons" they tried to wear) and hold their picture of their Daddy (their daddy dolls). It was really special for them to get recognized - I think it helped them realize that even though they miss their daddy, want him home, and don't really understand why he keeps taking so long to come home - Daddy being deployed is important and something they should be proud of.
Here's the clip of the boys getting recognized. Notice at the end, the Director mentions their Daddy being in Qatar - Colton corrects her and says it the proper way (like cut-er, not kah-tar), although she thinks he's saying "cuddle." I thought that was funny :)
After the march around the base, Elora and I walked off base and across the street to the Starbucks. I got a frappacino and she got an apple juice. We split a chocolate scone. It was yummy :) In this picture, you can sorta of see the Daddy Doll covering Elora's leg - she is really attached to it! Great investment.


1 comment:
I didn't know that there was such an event as recognizing military children. Great idea!
Post a Comment