Not knowing how long it would take for my diaper supplies to get here, I went ahead and placed my order today... I opted to get 2 covers that are specially designed for newborns - that way I won't have to worry about the the Flips NOT fitting when we're in the hospital. I got two Thirsties Xsmall - they even have a cut out for the umbilical cord :-) It fits 6-12 lbs.... so I figure that should get us through the first 2-3 months and at $11.25 a piece I figure it's worth the $22.50 to know I'll have a cover to fit right away. I'll buy maybe just 3 Flip covers when they finally fit... I guess it just depends on laundry, which I won't know until we get to that point how often they'll need to be washed....
Anyway, I tweaked my order to get: 2 Thirsties xsmall diaper covers, 12 Flip inserts (stay dry, this was the most expensive purchase), 1 snappi, 4 Hemp Doublers, one dozen birdseye flats, 5 Indian Prefolds, Bum genius Laundry detergent = $120.25 ( I also got reusable nursing pads, but I'm not including that in my diaper costs)
I plan on keeping track of all the money I spend on cloth diapers - to include laundry detergent - to see exactly how much it all costs. A little experiment if you will :-) We'll see how I do to keep up with keeping a log!! Especially since we're going to have kids in diapers for another 3ish years!
I know I'll eventually have to spend a bit more on a few more covers and maybe a large wetbag to hold the dirty diapers in...
Today the boys and I went over to my friend Ellie's house - her husband works with Nic. She has a 3 month old - thats how I knew the Flip probably wouldn't fit a newborn, even though they're supposed to - we tried it on her son and it fit him perfectly on the smallest setting. That convinced me to get a couple newborn covers for "insurance." I had a good time chatting and although the kids got a little wild at the end of our day, it was most enjoyable! We plan on going back next week.
One last note about cloth diapers - they have indeed come a long way! I know we'll be saving money in the long run, but I'm even more excited about the lack of trash we'll be contributing to landfills - God made us stewards of Earth and I feel like this is helping me do our part to keep it the way God intended :-)
1 comment:
I love this post. I think this is awesome and that YES, we must all do our part! I so want to do cloth diapers when I start having kids, so now I know who to come to with my questions. Yeah Inky!!
Post a Comment