Monday, January 31, 2011

Cloth diapering basics

My friend Katy has asked me about cloth diapers and I figured it would be a lot easier to explain the basics on a blog post than in a message on FB.... so feel free to skip this post :-)

So basically there are 3 options when it comes to cloth diapering:

1) Using prefolds with a waterproof diaper cover.  This is the most inexpensive but also the most inconvenient.  Think of old school cloth diapers with the safety pins with a waterproof cover (can be velcro on the sides or the pull on kind).  Although they have come up with a better option than the safety pins - Snappi's ($3.95), work kind of like how you hold an ace bandage together.  Prefolds are usually about $1-2 and Pull on Covers are abour $5 .  We don't use this option, although I do have some prefolds that I use as spit up rags.


2) Inserts with a waterproof diaper cover.  This is the option we chose.  Let me divulge on the different options:

 Covers: There are many different kinds, I'll explain the ones we have/have used and which ones we like best. Keep in mind there are MANY more kinds than the ones I have listed.  I only really use 3 right now:

                         a) Thirsties.  They come sized- XS,S,M,L.  They have velcro closures, so changing is really easy (especially at night when you can't see!). The elastic on the sides have great gussets which help catch anything and everything and as long as it's on properly and tight enough it should never leak or go up the back.  These can be wiped out and reused at diaper changes (there are many times when I don't wipe them out!)  I have found that having 4 of the current size is enough, more would just be more convienent. I wash these with the inserts and dry them with the inserts. @ $11.25 each they are very reasonable. My favorite for Elora right now.  These didn't work too great for a 2 year old though - Colton would move around too much for them and the velcro would come undone. Snaps are better for toddlers I think. (Thirsties also has a kind that fits multiple sizes and with snaps, haven't tried them yet - Duo Wrap and Duo Wrap Snap)
                       b) Bummis Super Whisper Wrap.  I only have one of these and I really like it (I'm borrowing it from a friend).  These also come sized and have velcro closures. They have some really cute designs but I'm not sure if you're able to reuse them before washing... I never do because the inside is more cloth like than plastic. $12.95 a cover.
                      c) Flip cover.  I actually really like these covers - they're what we started out using with Colton.  They are great because they are a one size, so Elora is using the same ones that Colton used this summer.  They snap to different sizes and snap closed.  Not exactly convenient for late night changing but you definitley get your money worth at $13.95 - since you can use the same one through potty training.  They didn't fit Elora for the first couple months, which is why we went to Thirsties.  A major downfall for this one is the elastic around the legs stretches out - so they don't fit as tightly on Elora since Colton wore them first.  You can wipe these out to use again, but you're supposed to wash them separate from the inserts and dry them on low - I usually hang them to dry. These are great to use on Maximus at night (he's 4 and still has trouble staying dry at night).

Inserts: We only use the Flip's inserts - just because they work so well.  I haven't found a need to look for other ones. 
                        a) Stay Dry.  These are micro fiber with a fleece liner (which wicks away the wet.)  You can fold them to go from a Large to Medium to Small.  They are trim and very absorbant.  I've heard people comment about how the microfiber can begin to smell after a while, but I don't have that problem and we've been using them for over 7 months. These are my favorite inserts. @ $4.95, they are pretty reasonable and they work great.
                         b) Organic Cotton.  These are a bit bulkier than the Stay Dry, but they're not too bad.  They're good for potty training.  We used these on Colton when we were potty training him - so he could feel wet. I like them, but they're a bit too bulky on little Elora, but I will use them at night for her... I think they're a little bit more absorbant. @ $7.95 these are a bit more expensive. These you do have to fold to fit them as inserts.
                         c) Hemp Doublers.  These are thin and basically I add them at night to Elora's diaper for extra absorbancy. $3 a piece.  I bought 4.
                         d) I will note that you can also use regular prefolds as inserts.  You will have to fold them.  They are a cheaper option.

3) All in ones and Pocket diapers:  We do not use these because they tend to be a bit more expensive.  If we had started using CD when we had Maximus, this is the option we would have gone with because they are the most convienent.  At each diaper change, you treat the diaper like a disposable by just putting it in your diaper pail and putting a new one on (poop is a different story, but I'll get there).  There are sized All in Ones and there are one size kinds that snap up to fit different sized babies.  Pocket diapers differ in that after they are washed, you stuff an in insert into the cover (instead of laying it on the cover like the ones we use).  We actually have one that my sisters got me on clearance at Cotton Babies.  I like it - Fuzzibunz.  These kinds of diapers run close to $20 per diaper, give or take.  They cost a bit more, but they are more convenient so in the long run, probably worth it in my opinion.

Ok.  Once you decide what kind to use, think about what you're going to do once your child has soiled it.  This is what we do and our system works very well for us! 

I bought 2 wetbags from Planetwise (a lady here in Okinawa sells them) for when we are away from the house. I got a medium and a small one.  A small one would probably be fine, unless you anticipate more than 3 dirty diapers away from home. When I get home I put them in my diaper pail. I use a travel container of disposable wipes for convience.

 As far as my diaper pail goes, this is what we do.  We bought a stainless steel trash can - a large one when Elora was a newborn and Colton was still in diapers, but we now use a medium one.  I also bought two diaper pail liners.  So when it comes time to wash diaper (about every 2-3 days) I can just carry the liner to the washer, and dump it all in - liner and all.  I don't have to touch much, if anything at all!  While one liner is washing, there's already a liner in the can for more diapers.  We don't have a problem with smell, even right next to the can.

As far as detergent I use bum genius laundry detergent.  At $11.25 for 66 loads it's worth it to know that the insertts aren't getting a build up of oils and enzymes that are common is normal detergent. Those oils can cause your diapers to repel pee and then not work.

 For wipes, I made my own - everything out there is ridiuclously expensive.  I bought a package of Gerber's recieving blankets and cut them up and sewed them up (I now have about 150 for $10 - and I don't need that many!).  If I had old recieving blankets I would have used those!  I also use a mixture of water, baby soap and mineral oil (that's basically all baby oil is) in a spray bottle which I spray on the wipes before I use them.  I know people who just wet the wipe before using, and I think that's fine too.  Just toss the wipe in the diaper pail with the diaper or insert when done!

Ok.  Poop.  Now breastfed babies' poop is water soluble so you don't need to worry about rinsing them before putting them in the diaper pail... but once they start solids it'll get rather disgusting.  We didn't have to tackle this too much with Colton because he was almost potty trained when it came to poop when we started CD.  I just started Elora on rice cereal and I plan on buying a diaper sprayer which hooks up to the toilet - you spray the poop out and then flush the toilet, putting the diaper/insert in the pail.  I think I may also use fleece as an extra liner... I've read that it's easier to get poop off of, lol, but we'll see :-)

I buy EVERYTHING off of Cotton Babies and they ship for free and we never have to pay taxes (maybe because we're from FPO? I'm not sure) so it's a pretty sweet deal.  People post their comments on the products, which will help in making decisions.  I really wish I lived in St. Louis again so I could go shopping at the ACTUAL store!!  But then again, I would probably end up buying cute covers for Elora - covers she doesn't really need :-)  

I think we spent around $500 on all our supplies and diapers - and I think I'm rounding up.  I'm sure we spent less.  It's not as expensive as I thought it was going to be and it's a lot easier too.  I'm very blessed to have a husband who's so on board with me with this, too!  We both love the fact that we're never running to the store late at night because we ran out of diapers - who hasn't done that?!  And it's so much better for our Earth - no matter how many loads of laundry you do.

I hope people out there take the plunge and try out cloth diapers!  I suggest looking for second hand diapers too - people love to sell them because, not only do they last, but people who CD are usually passionate about it and want to share it with others!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask... I feel like I must have left something out,  LOL, if you can believe that!  (keep me updated on what you decide to do Katy!)


.............


OK, I'm adding to this post, almost  a year? since I originally posted it?  I forgot to check the date before I clicked edit!

Elora is 13 months and the thirsties are getting harder to stay on her - the velcro is wearing out a bit and she moves around too much, so they start to pull apart.  She can take this diaper cover off now, if she's not wearing clothes over her diaper (and in our weather, she often goes in just a diaper).  For her I prefer the Flips covers and I definitely prefer the cotton inserts - they seem to absorb more and I like that I don't have to fold them up in the back to fit her - I fold them one way for medium and one way for large (if she's a small you fold it up in the back as well - make any sense??).  Anyway, she's on the medium fold.

Cotton Babies is coming out with new Flip training pants that I am SO excited about!!  Maximus still wets the bed, so I think this will be a MUCH better option than pull-ups - I just can't bring myself to put a diaper on a big 5 year old!  And I could even start using these with Elora soon.  Can't believe I can start potty training her within the year!

I hope this blog has answered any questions you might have, please e-mail me or message me on FB if you have any that I have not answered!  ingridtimm@rocketmail.com

1 comment:

Kate Gef said...

Thank you! I've got a lot of details to consider, and a husband to consult, but I'll keep you updated on what we decide! :)

About Me

My photo
Oh, the escapades in the Timm household never cease to amaze!