Saturday, October 17, 2009

Air Defense Officer

Nic did indeed get his MOS today, and well....he's slightly disappointed but excited all the same. He was really hoping for his #1 or #2 choice (combat engineer & artillery) but he ended up with his #5 pick: Air Defense. He described it as coordinating "air fights" (for lack of better term) from the safety of a base via radio. I'd be lying if I said I was a teensy bit relieved that when he goes to Afghanistan (which is inevitable) that he should be mostly safe. Don't really have to worry about him coming home in a flag-draped casket - and believe me, I've thought about that often enough.

So our next stop will be 29 Palms, CA for 12 weeks. It's pretty much desert. I was just looking at pictures online and no yard has any grass. It's just dirt. Yea for dirt yards! PSYCH!

But anyway, the logistics of us moving there might pose a problem. It's unaccompanied, which means they won't pay to move us out there. So we'll have to do it ourselves, which will cost a few thousands dollars. Our other option is to have the Marine Corps move our things to our duty station (which we don't know yet) to sit in storage until he's done with MOS training, and in the meantime we would have to find a furnished place to live, which would also not be cheap.

So the next thing for us to do is.......wait for it....WAIT! Yea for not knowing anything! PSYCH! :) We'll have to wait until Nic get's his orders which rumor mill says 2 weeks. So it's not really that bad. So we're part-way there to knowing what we'll be doing the next couple years.

We still have no clue how much time we'll get off in December, but we're still hoping to be able to come to STL to visit my family.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I'm so glad to hear that Nic will be on base too. I know it's not exactly what he wanted, but I'm with you - happy that he'll hopefully be safe when he gets deployed. Too bad the training is in California though - that's so far away! At least you won't have to face the bitter cold of the midwest. :)

About Me

My photo
Oh, the escapades in the Timm household never cease to amaze!