Friday, October 21, 2011

While Nic is away...

Well, Nic's been gone for a week now and I think we've faired pretty well so far.  I think it helps that we are so incredibly busy.  Wednesday we left the house at 8am and didn't get home until 7:30pm.  Of course that would be the day Colton winds up with a fever and complains of itchy watery eyes he can't keep open.  He ended up sleeping through football practice and seemed better on Thursday, although he still had a fever.  Which meant we had to cancel all our plans - soccer and a play date with friends from school.  Thursday night football, he was whiny but a bit better.  And he wasn't able to go to school today (Friday).

Thursday practice, Maximus got hit w/a good tackle and started crying, saying his arm hurt.  So he sat on the sidelines with a couple other kids that didn't want to play, to recover.  I got him some water and gave him some encouragement (aka, Mommy-love) and he told me, "I'm ready to get back out there and tackle!"  So, back out he went!  He absolutely loves football; I'm so glad we decided to do this.  After practice each day he RUNS full speed to me and stops on a dime, less than six inches from me.  (I always flinch!) Every time, I ask him what his favorite part was and he says, "When I tackled."  When the coaches ask who wants to tackle (to switch up the drills) his hand shoots up.  And if they're looking for someone to run the ball, he's there waiting for you to hand him the ball.

It's still hilarious to watch him in drills when he runs the ball - he turns and runs the wrong way and tries to outrun them before he goes in the right direction.  The coaches have been working with him, so hopefully if he gets the ball at all in tomorrow's game, he can do it right :)

He's gotten better at running, too.  At the beginning of the season, he had NO clue how to run.  Seriously, it was almost painful to watch him try - it was like he thought about it too much.  But now, during plays, he is always at the end of the field chasing or tackling.  :) I'm a little proud.

Elora has finally started to babble!  She'll have entire conversations with you it seems!  She's turning into a climber - I found her on the coffee table sitting coloring while Maximus was doing Legos.  Maximus gets her out of bed most mornings and will bring her to me (while I'm still in bed).  This morning, I woke up at 8 (which is sleeping in) to hearing all 3 kids playing in the play room!  She's getting a little better at walking, but she still prefers to crawl.  And when she does walk, when she thinks she close enough to an object or piece of furniture, she'll dive for it... sometimes she makes it!

Colton usually is my emotional child, especially when Nic is gone.  But so far, he's handled it very well.  He hasn't been *too* unreasonable with his requests and the only meltdowns have stemmed from his fever and not feeling well (for example, wanting me to hold him while I'm driving, or carrying Elora and 8 bags from the parking lot to our apartment).  So I think we may have turned a corner with him - maybe it's because he's older.   But, being the 2nd child, I try to give him extra love and attention.  I don't want him to feel forgotten with us being so busy with Maximus' football and Elora being the "baby."

Well, we have an early morning tomorrow.  Maximus' game is at 9, and I'm sure we're supposed to be there at 8:15.  It's at least an hour away, so we'll have to leave no later than 7... so I should probably head to bed - Good night!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Oh, the escapades in the Timm household never cease to amaze!