Oh children...
Today I've been trying to figure out why Maximus' bathroom smells so bad. Everything looked to be clean - no pee on the floor (which is usually the reason why it would smell). As I ran the bath for the kids tonight I found what was alluding me. You see, we went to the beach yesterday - the boys and I. And we had a fun time using out beach sifter to sift through the sand and collect shells - mostly small broken pieces of corral. We had a bucket about half full and Maximus was in charge of carrying it in. I don't know why but he brought it straight into the bathroom and I, of course, was putting off cleaning them - we had plans to put them in our fishless fish tank, but I wanted all the salt off first. And as I was bending over the tub, swishing the water around to get the bubbles going I look down and I see this bucket full of tiny shells inbetween the toilet and tub - and lo and behold the bucket is full of pee as well. FULL. So he must of peed in it a few times. *sigh*
Maximus never threw temper tantrums so I always thought "The Terrible Two's" was a myth - a result of not disciplining your child when he was younger..... oh but I was WRONG! Colton throws temper tantrums left and right and sometimes for no apparent reason. How convienent that he turns 2 on Tuesday.... But seriously - whose child is this?! He literally will throw himself backwards - and we have concrete floors - with every disregard for furniture. He has a huge welt on his forehead from slamming it into a table this afternoon after I told him "no." It took him crying (ok screaming is more like it) for somewhere between 5-10 minutes before he would let me come near him. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle these situations - do I ignore it? Do I carry him to his room so he can do it alone? Do I spank him? So far ignoring it seems to work best and when he's calmed down I talk to him about what just happened - I just hope I'm getting through to him!!
2 comments:
We didn't have temper tantrums with David, either. However, I'm sure Miriam will be a much different story. She's a little bit of a screamer now. Adam and I joke that we're giving her away when she hits puberty, lol.
As for what to do, our Supernanny book recommends making sure that he can't hurt himself, trying to stay calm, don't bother trying to reason with him because he can't/doesn't want to hear you, and remove yourself from the room to remove your attention completely.
She also says that for some kids holding them securely helps, but for others it makes it worse.
Post a Comment